Acne is the most common skin condition in the US. Although it is common, accurate information about acne can be scarce. Many people think that acne is just pimples. But a person who has acne can have any of these blemishes:
- Pustules (what many people call pimples).
Acne can appear on the back, chest, neck, shoulders, upper arms and buttocks.
Acne can cause more than blemishes. Studies show that people who have acne can have:
- Low self-esteem: Many people who have acne say that their acne makes them feel bad about themselves. Because of their acne, they do not want to be with friends.They miss school and work. Grades can slide, and absenteeism can become a problem.
- Depression: Many people who have acne suffer from more than low self-esteem. Acne can lead to depression.
- Dark spots on the skin: These spots appear when the acne heals. It can take months or years for dark spots to disappear.
- Scars (permanent): People who get acne cysts and nodules often see scars when the acne clears. Treating acne before cysts and nodules appear can help prevent scars.
Let us teach you how to manage your acne.